Since time immemorial, the human being has dreamt of flying. At Overfly Tenerife, we make your dreams come true! Today, we want to talk to you about how to become a paraglider tandem pilot. However, if you are interested in paragliding, you can find many other posts related to this topic in our blog. For instance:
If you want to know how to become a paraglider tandem pilot, you should know that the Pro Tandem qualification is the best choice to make your dreams come true. It is intended to train tandem pilots with solid skills and experience. Pilots will learn to operate in such a professional way and — among other things — their main objective is to be able to work efficiently with a high safety level.
If you want to take the APPI professional tandem pilot exam, you have to be previously certified as a non-commercial tandem pilot for at least one year in order to show proof of a minimum number of 100 tandem flights as a pilot.
It is a double validation, due to a master plus another instructor or master will give you the exam.
➛ On the one hand, the exam will be automatically over if something fails in the safety procedure.
➛ On the other hand, the instructor can cancel the exam if he or she judges that action is dangerous. For example: during the take-off, landing, or uncontrolled manoeuvres.
According to APPI standards, APPI pro tandem pilot has to be able to practice the commercial tandem activity with a high level of safety and efficiency.
– Acro is not allowed in tandem above ground.
– You need a special authorization to fly acro above ground, and it can be given by a master (under his or her responsibility).
– Acro is not allowed in tandem above the water below 200 metres/surface.
– Acro is allowed in tandem above water above 200 metres if the paraglider is 10G certified, it has 2 emergency parachutes (or just one, but Rogallo type) and a rescue team ready to be used.
– Any mean to go down is allowed in an emergency situation.
– You have to carry a certified emergency parachute (except for dynamic soaring).
– You need a certified harness.
– Your tandem gear must be in good condition.
– It is mandatory a third party liability insurance (if it is available).
– If you have an accident, you must report it in APPI system.
– You must show your flight certificate to passengers. It is mandatory to show your name and your APPI number, APPI logo and website address.
– You have respect all the rules and regulations of the country where you are flying.
– Act in an exemplary manner.
– You always have to welcome visiting APPI pilots.
Any tandem pilot who is not an APPI member should ask for recognition of his or her skills. The process consists of attending a 5 days Pro-workshop and takes the exams at the end of the workshop. To be qualified as an APPI pro tandem pilot, you have to be provided with a proof of:
– A minimum of 150 tandem flights as a paraglider pilot, 3 years of experience and one year of tandem operating.
– First aid certificate.
– Proof of advanced SIV certification.
– Mandatory manoeuvres: side collapse, pitch control on dynamic spiral exit, autorotation and recovery, back fly, stall, recovery, deep spiral damped exit, and spin min 180° plus recovery.
➛ The master in charge may ask for a solo flight demonstration prior to any tandem flight if he or she has any doubt about your practical skills.
We hope that this information about how to become a paraglider tandem pilot has been useful as well as we hope that you won’t hesitate to contact us if you have any doubt. You can also do it if you are interested in our paragliding tandem flights. Because the best part of paragliding is that you don’t really need to be a pilot to enjoy one of the best experiences of your life! Remember that we are waiting for you in Costa Adeje, in the south of Tenerife.
Welcome back to our blog! Today at Overfly Tenerife, we are going to compare these two aerial sports: paragliding vs.…
Nowadays, there are almost infinite models and brands to choose from, so finding the most suitable paraglider for you can…
Traveling is probably the best way to open your mind and free your soul. You get to meet new people,…
Welcome to Overfly Tenerife once again! Today, we want to talk about the 5 paragliding stunts that you should know…
Have you ever sat in the seat of the paraglider pilot? If you haven’t, it is very likely that you…